Monday, February 18, 2008

Here is the little guy who started it all!


As some of you may know, I am the reluctant collector of pigs. I say 'reluctant' because I seem to have fallen into it unknowingly when we had a 'white elephant' exchange in Iowa a few years ago.
Here's how it innocently started...the Simply Sentiments magazine staff and a bunch of wonderful ladies from the message board were meeting for the first time at a convention in Iowa. I headed out of the country with some trepidation as I'd never travelled on my own and I was going to meet people that I'd met on the Internet!! A scary prospect only up to the moment that I met everyone! Once we were together, it seemed as if we'd always known each other. We had a fabulous time, so when the white elephant exchange came up, I was excited and picked the biggest bag there! Little did I know that Christine (techgoddess) had brought this jug that was the shape of a pig and would be starting my collection! This little guy came home with me and we all got a chuckle out of him, he was actually kind of cute.

Soon though, other pigs started arriving at my house courtesy of a few ladies who had been at the convention. My family all wondered what was up with all the pig things that were arriving…candles, stuffies, notebooks, magnets, rubber stamps…all cute and all part of a growing collection that some wonderful friends have so much fun buying and sharing with me!!

So, I am a collector of pigs. A few years into it, I've come to accept it. And you know what…they’re kindda cute and they really do grow on you!!

So I was very excited when I picked up the latest copy of Paper Crafts Magazine and saw in the calendar that National Pig Day is coming up on March 1st. I had no idea there was such a thing but then realized that it was the perfect time to show you more of my collection and have a bit of fun here on the blog. I'll be hosting a 'National Pig Day' celebration on March 1st and I hope you come and visit often as you never know what kind of piggy fun I'll have lined up during the day.
Starting off though, I'm hosting a ‘National Pig Day’ Card Fest. If you leave a comment on my blog with a link to a PIG theme hand made card that you've created, you'll be entered into a draw for a prize. Deadline will be March 1st at midnight EST. I'm still working on what the prize will be, so can't say what it is yet…but I’m thinking ‘Piggy Tales’! So let the ‘piggy’ creative juices flow…Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

what fun - I am sure a piggy card could appear on my blog some day in the near future.

And you are a good sport about your pig collection.

Barb

scrappinpeg said...

What a fun fest to be celebrating in honor of National Pig Day! Too funny! Can't wait to see more of this fun collection of yours that has grown through the years! Well, in honor of your ceremony I've created a card in your honor! ROFL.....
Here is my link for you....
http://scrappingpeg.blogspot.com/
oink oink.....
Peggy

Debby said...

You can find another pipgy card on my blog;)

Joyce said...

NATIONAL PIG DAY!! Just thought I HAD to get in on the fun. So, in honor of the big day, here is the link to my blog, where you will find THE 3 LITTLE PIGS. Oink! Oink!--------JOYCE
www.zanyzinnia.com/mamajoy/

mnhyrkas said...

If you can't beat them, join them! Here's my contribution-
http://www.fleurdelispizza.com/cardmaking/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3339

Anonymous said...

Hi Ivanka :)
Happy Piggy Day to You!!!!

Made this little card to celebrate with you.

http://usera.imagecave.com/lbowman/pigday-copy.jpg

lbowman
Linda

Anonymous said...

HI Ivanka! Happy Pig Day to you! I feel privleged to have been at the start of your pig collection........what a fun time! Here is my pig for you:
http://www.fleurdelispizza.com/cardmaking/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3402&nocache=1

Kim

Amy said...

How fun Ivanka! I've got a pig on my blog. He was fun to create with. Hope this works for my "piggy" entry!

Christine said...

ROTFL! I can't believe you didn't pass that thing on to some other unwilling collector. Nice to see he's doing well up there in his new home.